Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Acoustic Guitar Refurbish - Part 3

Yesterday, Monday, I took the clamp off the guitar after sitting for a couple days.  I heard lots of small crackling as the wood released from the tension of the clamp.  It didn't splinter, but I probably should have soaked it before letting up the pressure.

After cleaning it up, I set to wetting the neck for another six hours, and then put it back to straightening it down on the desk.


Not much happened to report on this post.  I did notice that after the soaking, I could lift the body up and meet the heel of the neck where it had separated from.


What a friend of mine had suggested is I could drill a pilot hole through the heel into the support of the body and a wood screw should keep it together.  I'll definitely do this once I make sure the warp in the neck has straightened up some, so maybe by next weekend I'll try it out!  Looks like I have some direction to take this in that will speed up the process!

As usual, any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment