Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Acoustic Guitar Refurbish - Part 2

Today is Wednesday and I've been mostly letting it sit under clamps since last post.  Yesterday, Tuesday, I took it off for three hours to wrap and soak before putting it back down under a tighter pressure.  I also moved the body up to be pressed against the edge of my desk.  This allowed it to press closer in to the heel of the guitar, which I think is the biggest cause of the bowing.  Damage can be seen in the previous posts's pictures, but I took another to show how the neck had been pulling away from the bottom panel of the body while laying forgotten.

The heel of the guitar has pulled out from
the bottom panel of the body.

Against the desk, I tried to get a couple shots to show the position the neck is in, and also to show that the body is being pressed up, effectively being 'bent' back in to meet the neck where it should.  After several more days ( weeks? ) , if it looks to be staying less bowed, I'll glue the bottom panel closed and that should take care of the most severe warping!

Clamped down with more tension, less arch.


Instead of leaving the body hang completely free and not touch
the desk's edge at all, I moved it up so that it would push it up
to meet the heel of the neck where it had separated.

There maybe not be many posts for the next couple of days since it will mostly consist of waiting.  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!  Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment